Chicken Lip Dip

by Dee

in Appetizers

This is another recipe that I got from my friend Lyndy. She brought it to share at a party we had a couple of years ago and I begged her for the recipe afterwards. Every time I have made it, it has been a big hit. It is a great snack for a Super Bowl party or any get-together. I’ll be making it to munch on during the big game this weekend!

Lyndy says the recipe originated in Burlington Iowa….the birthplace of the hot chicken lip.

2 8 oz blocks cream cheese*
3 cans chicken (you can add more if you want more chicken chunks)
3/4 Cup Franks Hot Sauce
1 Cup Ranch Dip* (already mixed together – find it by the sour cream at the
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese*

Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 for 30 min. or until it bubbles. I usually sprinkle some extra cheddar cheese on top during the last few minutes of baking time.

Serve this with tortilla chips or, my personal favorite, slices of pita bread.
You can also cook in a crock pot if you prefer, but make sure and give it enough time to heat thoroughly.

*You can substitute low fat versions of all of these and it still tastes great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Related Posts

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Shelly September 22, 2008 at 7:51 pm

This is an excellent dip! I have had 3 times in the last 2 weeks and that was my first time. I live in Burlington and I still can’t believe I just found out about it.

2 Melissa October 11, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I have not only had this recipe but I have tried it!!! I live in Burlington as well and WOW it has a kick depending on how much Franks you use… You think this is good you should come to Burlington and try a Chicken Lip itself!!! YUMMY!!!

3 island jen October 23, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I’ve never heard of a ‘hot chicken lip’ (I’m Canadian) but this dip sounds like heaven! Will definitely fire this up for the next family get together.

4 LAURIE PERRIN November 24, 2008 at 1:15 pm

sorry i found the dip!!!!!!!!

5 Bryce May 13, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Real Chicken Lips are awesome! this dip is awesome! you can get real lips in more places now West Des Moines has a resturaunt called Graze. the real deal. look on

6 Noelle August 11, 2009 at 10:55 am

Can you give more directions for how to do it in a crock pot? Don’t judge I’m a college student and I hate cooking and have no idea how to use a crock pot!! :)

7 Dee August 11, 2009 at 11:32 am

I haven’t actually made it in a crockpot myself so I can’t give exact directions, but I would mix all ingredients as suggested above, then put in the crockpot on high until heated through. If you are leaving it out for a party, etc. turn the crockpot down to low or warm.

8 Shelly December 28, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I have a small mini crockpot and you just throw it all in and stir it up. I cut the recipe in 1/2 though. I’m making some right now as a matter of fact.

9 Leigh Ann August 12, 2011 at 7:23 pm

how bizarre – I live in West Burlington too and have not seen this version. Very good!!!

10 Leigh Ann August 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I think the originator of Chicken Lips is now the chef at The Graze in West Des Moines.

11 audrey February 4, 2012 at 11:41 am

i love this recipe u can also add dice chilis, cream of chicken, and hot peppers. and it gives it some extra kick

12 Jennifer Wagy July 31, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Please don’t ever take this off the website! Everytime I make it for get togethers someone is always asking me where I got the recipe. It’s always a hit. I usually have to double the recipe for our party’s.